Linear Technology Options
Modular Timing-belt drive – universal and fast
Timing-belt drives are particularly suitable for high speeds and extended stroke lengths. Timing Belts are delivered in the ideal size for the application concerned. Thanks to a wide range of aluminium profiles which are cut to exactly the required length, a high straightness tolerance and precision of the item extruded aluminum profiles and a special butt fastening technique the item aluminium profiles can be connected end face to end face. Using this approach, it is possible to build slide systems with exactly the right combination of strength and a stroke-length up to 24m.
Linear units – easily integrated
The idea of pressing shaft clamp profiles and shafts in the profile groove of a support profile offers maximum flexibility to create customised solutions. According to special project requirements various support profiles from 20x20mm to 320x160mm can be chosen. Thanks to the modular aluminium building kit system roller guides with slide loadings from 400 N to 7,600 N and a stroke length of more than 6000mm can be build.
Linear units with a low-maintenance timing-belt drive are based on a supporting profile with the corresponding linear slide, the sliding carriage and the components in the timing-belt drive. These comprise Timing-Belt Reverse Units, Timing-Belt Tensioners and, in some cases, a Timing-Belt Counter-Reverse Unit. When using the Counter-Reverse Unit for the Timing Belt, the drive can be mounted on the slide and the axis can be moved. item offers the following roller guide solutions which can also be combined with our wide range of heavy duty timing-belts with different widths and different pulley diameters to satisfy virtually any load and speed requirements
- Roller Guide 5 D6
- Roller Guide 8 D6
- Roller Guide 8 D10
- Roller Guide 8 D14
- Roller Guide 8 D25
All the drive elements from item are compatible with a range of motors that can be connected via variable shafts, couplings and connecting elements.
Linear Units KLE – the turnkey system
High-precision Linear Unit with compact dimensions – fully assembled
- Functional elements covered for safe, clean operation
- Durable, low-maintenance timing-belt drive
- Flexible drive set allows connection to virtually any motor
- Compact turnkey solution with Timing Belt
- Preassembled ready to install
- Short delivery times
- Easy installation and maintenance
Linear Units KLE from item deliver exceptional performance in a small space. The turnkey solutions combine a roller-bearing slide, the linear slide and a timing-belt drive in one integrated system. The Timing Belt is fed back through the robust guide profile, which also encompasses and protects the guide elements.
As a result, the entire guide axis is compact and sealed. Thanks to the use of item profile grooves, the guide profile can be easily integrated into constructions, making it easier than ever to create a high-quality linear unit.
Complete Linear Units with variable stroke length, Drive Unit and Reverse Unit, housing profile with integrated Roller Guide on hardened guiding shafts, preset free of play. Timing Belt in guide grooves functioning as labyrinth seal, Timing Belt tensioning device integrated in Reverse Unit, ball-bearing-mounted pulleys.
Guide slide with quadruple roller-bearing mounting, oil-lubricated roller contact (re-lubrication every 6 months or every 2500 km).
- Acceleration: max. 10 m/s²
- Travel speed: max. 10 m/s
- Stroke length (max.): 5700 mm
- Applied load (max.): 1500 N
The KLEs exhibit high precision and low-vibration linear movement. The repeat accuracy is ± 0.1 mm.
Linear Unit KRF – maximum load-to-size ratio
- High-strength steel tracks integrated into the guide profile
- Criss-crossed Rollers for high load-to-size ratio
- Versatile thanks to three Line 8 grooves for customised structures
- Internal Drive Unit for smooth movement
- Extremely torsion resistant and strong
- Preassembled turnkey solution with Timing Belt
- Speed (max.): 10 m/s,
- Repeat accuracy: +/- 0.1 mm,
- Stroke length (max.): 5700 mm,
- Applied load (max.): 1000 N
The compact Roller Guide with the best load-to-size ratio of all item drive elements.
- Light, quiet-running rollers arranged in a criss-cross pattern for high speed
- Innovative track technology – high-strength steel tracks rigidly connected to the aluminium guide profile
- Solid, rigid sliding carriage with a broad range of attachment options and integrated timing-belt clamp profile
- Drive Unit with internal reversing mechanism to give the smoothest possible movement when working with low moving mass
- Three Profile 8 grooves on three sides of the KRF guide profile ensure unbeatable flexibility for attachment geometries
- Simple adjustment with minimum maintenance requirements, all elements externally accessible
- Axes of customised length, guide length up to max. 6000 mm
- Motors can be adapted using universal coupling elements in the Drive Set
Linear Unit KRF is augmented by a range of useful accessories that enable simple attachment of slide constructions and drive modules.
Rack drive – compact and robust
- The rack sits entirely in the profile groove
- High drive rigidity with minimum space requirements
- Practical clamping technology eliminates need for machining during installation
- Only End Sections need to be screwed into place
This rack drive is very rigid and easy to install, because the groove of the support profile provides additional hold.
Thanks to innovative clamping technology, only the end pieces need to be screwed into place. The remaining segments are simply slotted into the groove and engaged without the need for any machining, ensuring that installation can be completed in next to no time. The clamping effect and the additional hold provided by the shape of the profile groove are all that is needed to keep the rack securely in place for the long term. High rigidity and long service life combine with minimum maintenance. Rack drive 8 is designed for use with a Linear Slide 8 D14.
- Ideal for vertical movements
- Extremely rigid and precise
- Speed (max.): 3 m/s,
- repeat accuracy: +/- 0.1 mm,
- stroke length (max.): 5700 mm,
- applied load (max.): 1000 N
The item rack drive can also be used with a motor of the customer’s choosing. That’s why the coupling Module comes with a universal coupling for connecting virtually any motor. The coupling is connected directly to the module’s housing.
The Rack 8 coupling Module fits nearly any motor – simply process the housing and coupling to suit your needs. You will, however, need to take care over how far the shaft extends into the coupling half.
Rack drive 8 is designed for use with a Linear Slide 8 D14. The idea of pressing shaft clamp profiles and shafts in the profile groove of a support profile offers maximum flexibility to create customised solutions. According to special project requirements various support profiles up to 320x160mm can be chosen.
Ball Screw Unit– precise and low-friction
Ball Screw Units KGT are suitable for use as a drive mechanism for linear slides, particularly for low speeds and short strokes. They feature high precision, high efficiency, high rigidity of the drive system and low mechanical wear:
- Maximum precision
- Low wear and outstanding rigidity
- For use in linear units, conveyors, handling devices, work bench design and any other fixtures
- Powered by hand wheel, AC/DC motors, stepper motors and hydraulic or pneumatic drive mechanisms
- Can be combined with any type of guide
Complete drive units of variable stroke length, spindle pitch 5 mm or 20 mm and drive option via Multi-Spline Shaft or individually machined hubs. Supporting profile with integrated lip seals, fixed and floating bearing blocks, specially designed ball-bearing collet mechanism for holding the spindle, end of stroke damping, secure yoke, play-minimised drive nut suspended on gimbals, rolled spindle, grease lubrication
- Lubrication interval: every 400-500 service hours with lithium-based ball-bearing grease (not general purpose grease)
- Speed (max.): 1 m/s,
- Repeat accuracy: +/- 0.05 mm,
- Stroke length: 2762 mm,
- Applied load (max.): 2000 N
Chain drive – robust and versatile
The chain drive is the most resilient solution for linear systems. Its robust steel chain works well even in difficult environments and ensures drive force is reliably transmitted. In its most compact design, the chain runs entirely within the groove of the aluminium profile. This means that power can be transmitted securely and reliably to the slide.
The chain drive can be used in a variety of ways:
- As a conveyor for workpiece carriers and products that are placed directly on the chain (Chain Transfer Unit)
- As a traction device for the slides of linear axes (chain drive)
- As a drive for conveyor rollers (Chain-Driven Conveyor Rollers)
Due to its flexibility and strength, the chain drive is ideal for breaking up bottlenecks and for linear units carrying high mechanical loads. It can be combined with various linear slides from item.
- Robust for contaminated environments
- Excellent power transmission for the long term
- Speed (max.): 2 m/s,
- Repeat accuracy: +/- 0.5 mm,
- Stroke length (max.): 5700 mm,
- Applied load (max.): 1400 N